Each week, Dr. B from Buddha Walks into a Wine Bar selects a single theme to point our cameras at or to encourage us to display a few photos from our collections.
I’m a bit late to this challenge but here goes…. This week’s theme is Steps and Stairs. I’ve actually just gone for one image….
Every Dubliner knows the Lead Mines Chimney. Occupying a beautiful scenic location in the south of the county, it offers amazing views of Dublin Bay and environs. The lead mines were built in 1807 after a vein of lead was found within the hill. Smelting works were constructed in the valley and the chimney was built on top of the hill to offset toxic fumes (unfortunately, many workers still died from lead poisoning, leading to the area being dubbed ‘Death Valley’ by locals).
Smelting was finally discontinued in 1913 but the chimney has survived. Standing about 26 metres tall, old photos show it about a third taller. The top section, along with the lower steps, was removed at some stage for safety
If you would like to join Dr B in #challengeyourcamera then here’s what to do:
1. Follow Dr B (link above) to discover the chosen weekly theme.
2. Select or take a few photos related to the week’s theme
3. Post your own photos that week, on any day you like.
4. Include a caption with each photo so we all know what/where it is
5. Include a ping back/link to Dr B’s blog in your post so that he’s notified, can follow you back and can appreciate and comment on your choices.
6. Include the tag #challengeyourcamera
1. Dr. B will follow you back
2. He will encourage other posters to follow you
3. He will list each blogger in my weekly post.
It’ll be fun, why not join in?
12 thoughts on “Challenge your Camera – #5 Steps ‘n Stairs”
Gorgeous and an amazing feat of architecture/construction. Thanks.
It is – but it looks all the more impressive because of its location – it wouldn’t be half as striking if it were in the middle of the city….
That’s a cracker! Great choice. Thanks for writing all the history bits too 👍
Thank You! It was a nice one to start with! XXXMarie
I just knew you’d find something totally different!!
I took it on a lovely day a few months back and have been waiting to use it!!!
beautiful tower with stairs. Needless to say, i would never walk that staircase-terrified of heights!
Meet your sister here!!!! I’m hopeless!!!!
It’s been a very long time since I’ve been there. Lovely photo, Marie 🙂
Thanks Aiva – I was lucky with the day. XXXMarie
Impressive structure, I’d be too scared to go up those stairs without a handrail.
I had a look for very old photos to see if there was ever a railing but can’t find anything. It doesn’t look as though there was but the steps are too high up to look for markings….. XXXMarie